It’s common sense…the better you want to be at something the more time you have to spend doing it. Kind of like Malcolm Gladwell’s 10,000 hours theory. He says that it takes 10,000 hours of hard work, practice and apprenticeship (plus natural abilities) to become great at something. His examples were Bill Gates and the Beatles, both were able to practice their crafts, a lot of hours, at young ages and because of it they became greats. It’s the same with social media, you have to spend a lot of time on it to become good at it. Since my focus has been mainly on Instagram I have to ask how much time are you dedicating to hustling on it!? You’re going to get out of Instagram what you put into it…
How Much Time Should You Be Spending on Instagram?
I spend anywhere from 1-2 hours a day on Instagram (and I’m definitely low end compared to the big Instagrammers). I’ll make time for it during lunch, bathroom breaks, while cooking dinner, before bed, etc. If you want to be successful on Instagram, especially if you’re new to it, you have to put in the hours.
5 Things You Should Be Doing When Hustling On Instagram?
- Commenting: I put commenting first because for me this is the most important. I mentioned a couple posts ago that I’m starting to use an Auto-Bot for a different Instagram account to see how well it works. With the Auto-Bot you can set what comments you want to be left on posts. The problem is you don’t have much control which comment is being left on which post. There isn’t as much authenticity that comes with it. In that same light, when I get comments on my posts I’m much more inclined to respond, follow, or interact with someone who has left an actual comment. Spend a lot of time commenting on posts that are your ideal customer/client/follower and other big influencers in your niche.
- Liking: ❤️ You should be leaving likes on as many photos as you can. It isn’t as personable or effective as commenting, but come one we all know how annoying it is when someone comments on your photo and doesn’t even double tap. Don’t be that person!! ❤️
- DMing: I’ve talked about this one several times, but spend sometime networking in the DM’s. I’m still not the best at this, but I’m definitely working on it. Asking to do a share for share, connecting, and collaborating, all goes down in the DM’s.
- Storying: Instagram story has gotten huge. Snap Chat is a huge success for a reason, naturally Instagram story is too. Again this is something I don’t have a lot of moral authority on as I don’t use it a ton, but I do have goals to improve on it. Spend time letting your followers get to know you personally, as well as your brand. Also spend time providing as much value as possible via your Insta videos.
- Discovering: When I’m Commenting, Liking, and DMing it isn’t only with people who I follow. I spend a lot of time searching. I’ll look up relevant hashtags to my niche and spend time commenting on the top posts as well as the most recently posted photos. I’ll then look up certain locations that I want to network with and do the same thing. In all honesty this is where I spend most of my time, which I believe has helped my account grow the most. It has specifically helped with getting my name out there and discovered.
Conclusion: If you want to build your Instagram account you need to spend at a minimum an hour on it every day. You should be commenting, liking, networking, sending stories and discovering as much as you can. The more you do this the faster your account will grow. I’ll give my full report on using an Auto-Bot in a month or so but as of right now I am really liking the authenticity and growth from doing it all manually.
Question: What do you spend most of your time doing on Instagram that has helped you seen the most growth??